Summer Teen Program: Independent Financial Living for Teens

Many young adults go off to college without basic money management skills making it challenging to face the responsibilities that come with adulthood. That is why it has become more important than ever to learn basic life skills at an early age. Without preparation, young adults could be presented with an array of difficulties at a time when they should be focusing on their goals and education. This summer break, your teen will be able to learn everything they need to prepare for managing life after high school with our Summer Teen class, “Independent Financial Living for Teens” taught by instructor, Lori Emery. Learn about Lori and her class in this new blog post:

My name is Lori Emery and I have been teaching the topic of teen financial planning for the last four years at my full time job as a Family & Consumer Sciences teacher at Mercer Island High School.  My mother is long-time Japanese professor at Bellevue College, Tokie Benjamin, and I have been assisting her with her classes since I was 12 years old. That being said, I’m very familiar and well-versed in the Bellevue College community.

At Mercer Island High School I teach a semester-long Health course and a semester-long Personal Finance class to students ranging from 9th-12th grade. I was very excited for the opportunity to turn my class into a week-long summer teen course for Bellevue College Continuing Education.

“Independent Financial Living for Teens” is one of the most applicable classes a teen could learn about. Many adults and teens use the skills we will be learning in this class on a daily basis because finance really is everywhere! Three of the most important concepts that will be taught in this class include: how to manage a bank account to make smart and sound financial decisions, how to use a credit card and understand the credit system, and lastly how to create a professional resume and cover letter that could land you the job of your dreams.

I wanted to teach this class because I hear from many adults who say they wish they had a finance class when they were in high school. It’s a subject that isn’t always offered in public high schools, but no matter what kind of future one might want, everyone has to understand how to use and manage their finances.

Some other topics covered in this course include a basic understanding of different types of insurance policies, budgeting strategies, saving tools for large future purchases, and how to rent an apartment. It’s great if the student already has a basic understanding of finance, but if this is the student’s first experience with formal financial education, this course will adhere to all levels of financial knowledge. This is a valuable course for teens of all ages who want to learn the basics of managing finances and prepare for a successful financial future ahead. Sign up your teens for this exciting and informative class before space fills up!

– Lori Emery, Summer Teen Instructor

Last Updated April 23, 2018