Q & A with Instructor Aaron Day About the Class Essential Skills for Emerging Leaders

Woman in office setting.

What are the 3 main learning outcomes for students?

1. Gain essential skills for rookie managers
  2. Apply leadership theory to real world examples
  3. Recognize your own styles for leading and communicating with employees

Who should take this class?

This class is for newly promoted managers or supervisors, but also for leaders in organizations who need help meeting the challenges of managing people in order to maximize employees’ performance.

Why do you want to teach this?

I want to teach a class of emerging leaders because I care about people. Not only to I care about people’s growth and development as leaders, but also about how they treat others along the way.

How did you get started with this topic?

I first got started with this topic in graduate school. I earned my master’s degree in Organizational Leadership, then went on to earn my doctorate in the same field. Since graduating, I’ve facilitated at least a dozen workshops on leadership, change management, and other topics. The positive feedback I get is what motivates me to continue this work. Knowing the information I provide can be inspiring and life-changing for people is very rewarding.

How do you apply these skills in your job (if applicable)?

I apply these skills daily at my job by recognizing what role I play in meeting goals and helping others to perform at a high level. As a supervisor, I am seen as someone who must set the example for how to treat others and adapt to changes in the industry. I used various communication styles and leadership concepts to get the most out of my team.

If you could tell students one thing about this class what would it be?

One thing to tell students about this class is that upon completion, I am certain there will be at least one idea or one piece of information they will apply immediately in their organization.

What have you learned from teaching?

I’ve been teaching for over 10 years at various institutions, I’ve learned that there is a yearning from people to understand how to navigate the complexities of leading organizations. Whether you’re a leader or a follower, everyone is looking for ways to be better in their roles. Furthermore, teaching is my gift and it brings me joy knowing that some students, not all of them, leave my classes feeling smarter and more prepared than they did before.

Register or find out more. 

Last Updated July 2, 2018