ABE 060 Orientation to Basic Skills • V1-3 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
ABE Orientation • V1-4 Cr.
Prepares native and non-native speakers (ESL 3, 4 or 5) for basic skills classes by introducing students to the program and the college. Helps students to identify abilities, learning styles, skills and barriers, set educational goals, and create learning plans. Prerequisite: Assessment into the ABE or ESL Program.
Description starting Summer 2015
Orients students to the Adult Basic Education, GED, and HSC programs at Bellevue College. Students will become familiar with college resources, assess their skills in reading, writing and math, develop college and career goals, and meet with a faculty advisor to determine an initial academic plan.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Develop an understanding of their own math, reading, and writing skills in relation to the courses available
- Identify characteristics of successful students Identify barriers to college success
- Access support services available at BC
- Register, receive advising, and plan for their education
- Establish academic connections with ABE faculty and staff