ABE 061 Adult Basic Education Level 1 • V1-10 Cr.
Prepares native English-speaking adults and, in some cases, high-level English-as-a second language students for credit courses or GED preparation courses by improving basic reading, writing, grammar, and math skills. Substantial and sustained progress required for continued enrollment. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Read with understanding simple directions, signs, maps, forms, job applications, community flyers and want ads.
- Demonstrate understanding of above types of reading material by restating content of the material and applying information to personal experience and goals.
- Convey ideas in writing by composing simple, complete sentences.
- Fill out forms correctly.
- Take simples phone messages.
- Use math to solve problems and communicate by adding and subtracting whole numbers.
- Identify coins by name and value.
- Design a schedule of daily activities/appointments.
- Demonstrate in role plays and discussion ability to resolve conflict and negotiate.
- Cooperate with others as demonstrated by his/her behavior in the class setting.
- Take responsibility for learning demonstrated by attending class regularly and punctually.
- Use information and communications technology, identifying the major components of a computer (i.e., mouse, monitor, keyboard) and demonstrating some ability to use a mouse and keyboard.