ABE 061 Adult Basic Education Level 1 • V1-10 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2015
English 1 • V1-10 Cr.
Prepares native English-speaking adults and, in some cases, high-level English-as-a second language students for credit courses or GED preparation courses by improving basic reading, writing, grammar, and math skills. Substantial and sustained progress required for continued enrollment. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
Description starting Summer 2015
Emphasizes development of strategies to effectively communicate in English for high school completion, and college and career readiness. Students read and report on books, short stories, graphs, maps, and informational text that relate to social studies, science and literature. Students meet composition objectives by writing complete sentences in short answers, notes, and paragraphs. Students build their vocabulary for reading and writing as well as improve spelling and technology skills. Prerequisite: ABE Orientation and advising.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and retell key details from a text
- Determine the meaning of general academic words and phrases
- Determine the main idea and connections between individuals, events, or ideas
- Identify basic similarities and differences between two texts on the same topic
- Develop and organize writing to convey main ideas, and facts about a topic
- Use technology to report on topics of historical and scientific significance