ABE 063 ENGLISH 3 • V1-10 Cr.
Emphasizes development of strategies to effectively communicate in English for high school completion, and college and career readiness. Students read and report on books, short stories, graphs, maps, and informational text that relate to social studies, science and literature. Students meet composition objectives by writing complete sentences in short answers, notes, and paragraphs. Students build their vocabulary for reading and writing as well as improve spelling and technology skills. Prerequisite: ABE Orientation and advising.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Locate, refer to and quote key details and examples from a text
- Determine the meaning of general academic and domain-specific words and phrases
- Determine and summarize the main idea or theme of a story, drama or poem
- Explain events, procedures, ideas or concepts in a historical, scientific or technical text
- Use information from multiple sources to compare and contrast events, ideas, and concepts
- Use the writing process to convey opinions, explanation, stories & research
- Use technology to research and report on topics of historical and scientific significance