ALDAC 103 Introduction to Counseling Helping Profession • 3 Cr.
Introduces basic theories, models and techniques used in the counseling professions. Includes interviews with current counseling professionals, hands on practice with counseling techniques and transference, counter-transference self-awareness inventories.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Recognize that crisis may indicate an underlying substance use disorder and may be a window of opportunity for change
- Describe the personal benefits and liabilities of being employed in the field of chemical dependency counseling
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of self-awareness in one’s personal and professional life
- Describe the collaborative process that facilitates the client’s progress toward mutually determined goals and objectives
- Demonstrate the utilization of strategies designed to maintain personal physical and mental wellness