ALDAC 204 Chem Dep Adolescent Assessment & Treatment • 2 Cr.
Examines the similarities and differences between adolescent and adult onset of addiction, various treatment models and developmental delay. Includes practice with adolescent specific diagnostic and patient placement criteria. Prerequisite: ALDAC 102 and HSSA& 101 and permission of program chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate use of established diagnostic criteria for substance abuse related disorders and patient placement criteria for adolescents and how they differ from those applied to adults
- Describe variety of accepted counseling theories and strategies used in different treatment modalities with adolescents
- Demonstrate ability to self assess potential personal limitations associated with delivering clinical services to adolescents
- Describe patterns of substance use behaviors in adolescents and how they differ from adult substance users
- Demonstrate ability to teach adolescents accepted and effective relapse prevention strategies designed for youth