BSUST 280 Sustainable Business Accounting • 5 Cr.
Analyze business processes in each functional area and as a whole to assess sustainability performance using triple bottom line accounting methods, and to develop recommendations for increased efficiencies and decreased environmental footprint. Topics include: history of triple bottom line accounting, internal costs, human elements, supply chain management, operations, budgeting, funding, reporting and managing sustainable business projects. Prerequisite: ACCT 101. Recommended: BSUST 160.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Discuss the history, role and function of Triple Bottom Line accounting in an organization
- Measure the internal costs of sustainable business
- Apply cost benefit analysis and total cost management to sustainable business practices
- Assess the human element in sustainable business practices
- Evaluate the supply chain from a sustainable perspective
- Budget for the sustainable operation
- Fund and analyze sustainability projects and initiatives
- Report sustainability progress and achievement to internal stakeholders
- Manage compliance metrics and reporting to outside stakeholders
- Assess projects and proposals of selected businesses from a TBL perspective
- Develop supporting business cases and metrics