BTS 210 Collaborative Online Workspace • 5 Cr.
Introduces web based collaborative software to enhance work, data and content collaboration in a business environment. Topics include workspace sites, content publication, lists, discussion boards, libraries, surveys, tracking tasks, blogs, wikis, web parts, customization, templates, managing users and permissions. Projects include the design and creation of customized workspaces to solve specific business needs. Recommended BTS 110 or BTS 161.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Assess workspace needs about users, permissions, requirements, site purpose, traffic and use.
- Create plan for workspace sites
- Apply strategies for creating, managing and storing data on collaborative websites.
- Understand and apply tools for effective workflow.
- Create pages and sites to solve specific business problems.
- Apply basic usability principles to design workspaces.
- Apply RTF and HTML formatting to enhance pages and announcements.
- Apply collaborative tools to enhance web-based teamwork.
- Create and use images to enhance worksites.
- Create libraries to manage information appropriately and effectively with forms, wikis, blogs, pictures and documents.
- Design and manage discussion boards.
- Create and apply strategies to enhance online discussions.
- Track calendars and project plans by task
- Apply basic project management principles to effectively manage tasks.
- Design and distribute surveys, collect results and present results effectively on a workspace.
- Import items from other programs to a collaborative web-site to integrate applications and create efficient workflows
- Create forms to gather information and present it.
- Set user and group permissions appropriate for team roles
- Collaborate effectively with others in workspaces
- Manage multiple workspaces effectively.
- Customize workspaces offline using software tools
- Identify effective use of workspaces and ineffective workspace practices and create solutions that enhance team productivity.
- Apply effective group and team practices to the creation and use of online workspaces.
- Create dashboards for effective data display.
- Implement a SharePoint solution in the workplace
- Research resources to solve problems independently