BTS 293 Business Technology Practicum • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2016
Professional Skills • 5 Cr.
Students apply business technology tools and skills in a project environment to accomplish actual goals and objectives at the college. These projects, which require application of technical expertise, may include event management, peer mentoring, grant writing, and similar activities. Emphasis is placed on critical thinking, communication techniques, time management, project management and other topics that assist students in integrating technical skills into business careers. This class is best taken toward the end of program completion. Recommended prerequisite: a minimum of 15 credits in BTS courses.
Description starting Summer 2016
Students apply learning from their respective areas of study to simulate a project environment. They will also work on developing key business skills such as establishing their own professional brand (resume, social media profiles, elevator pitch, letters of recommendation), networking, and creating a portfolio of their professional accomplishments. Emphasis is placed on critical thinking, communication skills, and project management, helping students integrate technical skills into business careers.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Envision a project and follow through to its completion
- Review current technologies and learn new business skills
- Apply existing business skills and technologies to the benefit of the larger project
- Work collaboratively in a team environment
- Establish their own brand to aid in job searches and career advancement
- Spring 2016 (current quarter)