BUSIT 202 Dimensional Modeling • 5 Cr.
Dimensional modeling has been broadly accepted as the principle technique for data warehouse design. Students use a sequenced series of case studies and hands-on exercises to learn effective design principles for data warehouse development. Prerequisite: BUSIT 105 with a C- or better.
Prerequisite: BUSIT 105 with a C- or better; class uses SQL Server 2008 and Analysis Services.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the goals of a data warehouse
- Describe the components of a data warehouse
- Explain the importance of dimensional modeling for a data warehouse
- Design Fact and Dimension tables
- Using a series of Case Studies, identify the probable set of dimensional modeling problems that occur in organizations
- Develop design principles based on the problems identified in the case studies
- Apply design principles to new situations
- Winter 2016 (current quarter)