CES 170 Introduction to Latino Studies in the U.S. • 5 Cr.
Examines social, cultural and political issues of Latinos in the US past and present. Topics include: Latino cultural and racial identity, social movements, immigration, stereotypes, social stratification and racial inequality.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Interpret multi-racial and cross-cultural history of Latino identity
- Analyze common terms to identify Latinos and where these originate
- Describe migration patterns from various parts of Latin America historically and in present day
- Identify bias, discrimination, and stereotypes past and present for those who identify as Latino
- Apply knowledge of the impact of Latinos on US culture and politics