CMST 141 Introduction to Media Writing • 5 Cr.
Students learn interviewing, basic research, effective expression and editing through note taking, interviewing, drafting and revision. Emphasizes observation skills and choice of language, structure and source material to communicate events and ideas to selected audiences. Students are encouraged to submit writing to the BC student newspaper. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, completion of ENGL 092 or ENGL 093 with a C- or better, or entry code.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe and practice the journalistic process
- Gather data from various sources
- Write a coherent and accurate news story
- Understand and synthesize ideas for others
- Refine punctuation, grammar, spelling and proofreading skills to achieve error-free text
- Explain the ethics involved in interview methods, the history of journalism and audience awareness
- Analyze and evaluate professional journalistic writing
- Describe the advertising and business components of news publications
- Collaborate and communicate as a professional team to meet deadlines