CMST 161 BASIC BROADCASTING • 5 Cr.
Develops skills in announcing and audio operations. Students review radio history and regulations and get an introduction to commercials, news, production, and station organization.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history, creation and evolution of radio.
- Conduct research into various radio formats and employment opportunities, and design a radio station of one's choosing, including a justification of format, budget for a year of operation, and discussion of various staff positions in that radio station.
- Log and explicate segments of local radio programming.
- [In labs] Produce a 20 minute live radio show demonstrating production techniques (including cross fades, digital editing, microphone skills, and playing a previously-produced commercial).
- [In labs] Create a commercial that meets broadcast standards.