DEVED 061 Strategies for Learning English: Reading • 5 Cr.
Prepares English-as-a-second-language students for credit courses by building reading comprehension skills and vocabulary. Students participate in listening and speaking activities coordinated with reading topics. DEVED 061 and 062 are linked and must be taken together. May be repeated for a maximum of 15 credits. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Raise reading level as measured by a standardized test in one or more areas: comprehension, speed, and/or vocabulary.
- Apply critical thinking skills to written text. (this includes identifying the main idea an supporting detail, distinguishing fact from opinion, and making inferences with level-appropriate material).
- Skim for main idea and scan for detail.
- Expand vocabulary by 100 or more words. (this may include idiomatic use of language and two-word verbs).
- Use an English/English dictionary when appropriate to identify the meaning of words, determine idiomatic use, and spelling.
- Apply appropriate context clues to identify the meaning of unfamiliar words.
- Use pre-reading skills to effectively build schema for understanding unfamiliar text.
- Summarize selections form level-appropriate authentic and ESL-adapted text.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills in a group setting, which include active listening, asking questions, and providing information.
- Identify strengths and weaknesses as a reader and develop strategies for improvement.