DRMA 141 Playwriting I • 5 Cr.
Introduction to the art and craft of writing plays. Through written exercises, readings and discussions, students write their own scenes and begin work on short plays. Covers dialogue, character, relationships, plots, and conflict. Designed for those interested in writing for the stage or screen. Recommended: Placement in ENGL& 101.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- • Critically evaluate various theatrical structures of playwriting
- • Comprehend and describe pacing and rhythm in plays and scenes
- • Create believable characters through dialogue, relationship and super objective
- • Create and sustain tension
- • Produce at least 2 scenes or plays between 5-10 pages long
- • Critique, revise, and edit works in progress
- • Identify steps for writing, rewriting, reading, workshopping and producing plays
- • Critically evaluate a live play using the skills and tools of the playwright.