DUTEC 252 Ultrasound Equipment/Knobology for Mammographers • 2 Cr.
Introduces the ultrasound system. Includes detailed descriptions of essential parts of the ultrasound system using a variety of ultrasound machines, classroom demonstrations of system operations and technique, and some practice on the systems. Prerequisite: DUTEC 251 or permission of Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify and select different types/frequencies of transducers appropriate to the patient/exam situation
- Set up the ultrasound machine appropriately
- Prepare patient appropriately
- Obtain all required and relevant information regarding the patient
- Follow accepted protocol for completing a breast ultrasound exam
- Utilize appropriate knobology and ultrasound system hardware and software for optimal imaging of the breast
- Document all images obtained appropriately
- Correlate ultrasound information obtained with other relevant information concerning the patient
- Analyze information obtained in order to arrive at a reasonable conclusion
- Conduct themselves in a manner that allows for safety of staff and patients in the ultrasound lab
- Provide for quality control in the ultrasound lab