ECED& 190 Observation and Assessment • 3 Cr.
Collect and record observation of and assessment data on young children in order to plan for and support the child, the family, the group and the community. Practice reflection techniques, summarizing conclusions and communicating findings.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe reasons for collecting observation and assessment data
- Identify characteristics and signs of growth, development, learning and social behaviors
- Identify techniques for avoiding bias, judgments, and assumptions in observations
- Collect factual, descriptive information using a variety of tools i.e. running records, anecdotal records, checklists, time and event samples, portfolios, and developmental continuums.
- Record information in an appropriate manner for future interpretation
- Interpret the information as it relates to general growth and development and the specific child(ren) observed
- Describe and demonstrate professional ethics and etiquette that applies to the collection and communication of observation data