ELIUP 053 Reading III • 4.5 Cr.
Students develop and practice comprehensive and critical reading skills including skimming, scanning, vocabulary development, etc. Identifying the author's main point of view and expressing an opinion about the passage are also emphasized. Study skills include finding materials in the library and interpreting graphs and tables. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Scan and skim to locate information in a text.
- Read and understand paragraphs and short passages.
- Outline and summarize a paragraph and short selection.
- Express an opinion about a passage.
- Use knowledge of word parts and context clues to guess meanings of new words.
- Use a dictionary to find correct definitions, parts of speech, usage, syllables, and stress.
- Locate level-appropriate reading materials in a library or on-line.
- Read and understand graphs, tables, and charts.