ELIUP 065 Advanced Grammar • 4.5 Cr.
Students learn and practice advanced grammar constructions in both oral and written communication. Emphasis is on self-correction and practice with authentic language. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Produce edited sentences that are virtually error free
- Demonstrate an understanding of and apply correct forms in writing of: modals, parallel structure, dependent clauses, conditionals, determiners, verb tenses
- Use correct word order and coordination
- Produce grammatically correct sentences by combining shorter independent clauses
- Use quotations correctly within a piece of writing
- Demonstrate understanding of common correction symbols
- Demonstrate understanding of explanations found in writing handbooks and grammar reference works
- Use knowledge of collocations to write more fluently
- Successfully edit another’s writing
- Successfully apply editing techniques to own writing