ELIUP 071 Integrated Skills V • 4.5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2018
Integrated Skills V • 5 Cr.
Course emphasizes academic writing skills, including formal instruction in sentence level expression (grammar). Assigned writing tasks are varied with an emphasis on timed writing and revision. Course is linked with ELIUP 072. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write grammatically correct sentences and use sentence variety.
- Use the writing process from brainstorming to final draft.
- Paraphrase and summarize longer and more complex reading passages.
- Write paragraph answers to essay questions.
- Determine the purpose of your writing and compose an appropriate essay.
- Focus the essay with a clear thesis statement and topic sentences.
- Make a point and support it with relevant evidence.
- Proofread and edit written work.