ELIUP 084 English Through Music • 4.5 Cr.
Presents English grammar and vocabulary through songs in English. Students listen to different types of music (in English) to recognize and respect different perspectives of music. Students survey others about music and present their favorite songs in English to the class. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the ELI program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Use songs in English to reinforce understanding of English grammar.
- Learn and use new vocabulary and idioms from songs and videos.
- Name different genres of music Explain elements of basic song structure.
- Organize and give effective presentations.
- Understand and interpret lyrics to determine themes and meanings in songs.
- Relate themes in songs to yourself and to the larger social context.
- Think critically about values and perspectives in songs.