ENGL& 114 Introduction to Drama • 5 Cr.
Introduces drama as literature, emphasizing conventions, styles, and techniques. Students read, analyze, and interpret works of traditional and modern playwrights. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a comfortable level of reading and understanding the language of drama
- Show a sense of how drama developed through history
- Develop a process of analyzing dramatic works
- Read various dramatic forms with insight
- Improve inferential reading skills
- Identify controlling ideas and themes in drama
- Improve writing skills
- Use evidence from texts to support thesis statements
- Enjoy drama and appreciate what it can do as a form