ENGL 219 World Literature I • 5 Cr.
Course explores major themes and ideas found in the literature of a specific culture, region or ethnic group. Selected literature promotes historical, cultural and philosophical understanding of the material on its own terms and in relation to a larger body of literature. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 and any 100 level literature course recommended.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of a selected region, culture or ethnic group's history, philosophy, and culture as reflected in the literature.
- Demonstrate an awareness of varying points of view within this culture, including women and other minority voices whenever possible
- Identify major themes and ideas
- Recognize how style relates to content in various writers’ works
- Apply the analytical process to literary works
- Apply writing skills to analyzing literature
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)