ENGL 237 Writing Fiction I • 5 Cr.
Focuses on the craft of the short story. Covers plot, scene, character, dialogue, voice and tone. Students write and critique short fiction and read the work of established short story writers. Suitable for beginning or advanced writers. Recommended: ENGL& 101 placement or higher.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Distinguish between plot and story
- Show, rather than tell, by using specific details, naming nouns and strong, active verbs
- Develop scenes
- Create believable characters through description, action, scene, and dialogue
- Establish and sustain a point of view
- Create and sustain tension
- Control sentence structure, length and word choice to create a particular tone and mood
- Critique, revise, and edit works in progress