ENGL 238 Writing Fiction II • 5 Cr.
Continuation of ENGL 237. Prerequisite: ENGL 237 with a C- or better or entry code.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Distinguish between plot and story
- Show, rather than tell, by using specific details, naming nouns and strong, active verbs
- Develop scenes
- Create believable characters through description, action, scene, and dialogue
- Establish and sustain a point of view
- Create and sustain tension
- Control sentence structure, length and word choice to create a particular tone and mood
- Critique, revise, and edit works in progress