ENGL 241 The Bible as Literature • 5 Cr.
Explores the oral and written literary traditions of the Old and New Testaments. Students focus on the cultural, historical, and literary aspects of scripture. Lecture/discussion format. Recommended: ENGL& 101 or ENGL 201 or a literature course in the 100 series.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Read Old and New Testament Literature in its cultural context.
- Demonstrate knowledge of:
- The historical, linguistic and philosophic evolution of Old and New Testament Literature
- Its origin in an ancient, oral tradition
- The impact of Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Greek, roman influences and their consequent migration, wars, and conquests
- The difference between Pre and Post Exile Literature
- Representative literary styles
- The influence of evolving Jewish and Christian traditions on the selection of texts
- Develop writing-about-literature skills