ESL 033 Basic Skills Learning Lab - Level 3 • V1-5 Cr.
No class description found.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply active listening strategies to understand words, phrases, dialogues, conversation, and narrated text (e.g., weather report, news, movie announcements, etc.) at an appropriate level, speed and in a context related to community, citizenship or workplace needs.
- Identify reduced speech, idioms, two-word verbs at appropriate level.
- Follow oral and written directions at appropriate level.
- Identify essential information in oral messages, announcements, and presentations delivered at appropriate level and speed.
- Distinguish sound features, intonation patterns, and register in own speech as compared to native speakers.
- Communicate clearly and participate in small discussion groups.
- Negotiate meaning of written text and oral discourse with level-appropriate vocabulary and grammar.
- Interpret schedules, signs, maps, weights, measures, graphs, charts, and other life and work0skill appropriate text.
- Write letters, numbers, familiar words, learned phrases legibly using appropriate size, capitalization, punctuation and spacing.
- Take dictation from an oral text.
- Demonstrate very basic knowledge of, and experience with, using computers and/or other related technology.
- Use software appropriately to write messages, resumes, letters, and other documents.
- Select computer applications appropriately.
- Use the Internet to send e-mail and search for information related to work, community, or education.