ESL 073 English as a Second Language Level 3 • V1-10 Cr.
Prepares English-as-a second language students to communicate in familiar job, life-skill, or social situations. Students read short texts using simple context clues and decoding skills and write short paragraphs that are edited for basic grammar and spelling. This is intermediate ESL. Students must show progress in three quarters of instruction. Course is credit/no-credit. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment
After completing this class, students should be able to:Reading
- Read and understand words and short paragraphs in workplace and academic articles and texts.
- Identify the main idea and important details.
- Look at headings and pictures to locate and describe important information.
- Write sentences and short paragraphs on familiar topics.
- Revise and edit writing with guidance and support.
- Use technology to write and communicate with others.
- Do research (gather information) to answer questions.
- Listen and speak with different partners in small or large groups.
- Describe people, places, things or events, and express ideas and feelings loudly and clearly.
- Ask and answer questions to get help or information or when you don’t understand.
- Use level 3 grammar (correct capitalization, punctuation and spelling).
- Use verbs (Be, present continuous, simple present, and simple past) when speaking or writing.
- Produce simple and compound sentences.
- Use different strategies to learn the meaning of new words and phrases.
- Log-in to Canvas
- Message your teacher in Canvas
- Check your grades in Canvas
- Complete assignments in Canvas
- Participate in simple discussions with your classmates in Canvas