FRCH 233 Language & Culture Immersion-Basic 2nd Yr French • 5 Cr.
Gives a student the ability to use appropriate vocabulary and grammar at a normal rate of speech with excellent pronunciation (avance) the opportunity to enhance their use of advanced oral and written French. Continues FRNCH 222. Students experience complete immersion into 100% French-speaking on-site environment. Portfolio evaluation required to receive credit. Prerequisite: Placement by approved host institution and permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- show mastery of grammatical and syntactic structures in speech and writing;
- demonstrate increased ease in spontaneous oral expression comparable to a native speaker in pronunciation & intonation; engage in conversations, simulations, & interviews with ease;
- use compound tenses, levels & registers of language, direct & indirect discourse, the subjunctive & conditional, colloquial & idiomatic expressions, interjections, etc;
- use precise vocabulary with nuance appropriate to given situations; continue to perfect phonetics;
- understand/follow/participate in conversations with native speakers and complex interviews;
- discuss/debate current issues with classmates; simulate a trial; discuss film or video;
- take dictation; write reports, reviews, narratives, letters, resumes;
- write summaries of articles or comic strips; use internet for research; write a news article, etc.
- as demonstrated by submitting a portfolio to BCC for final evaluation which will include:
- a journal, written in French, of all activities on a daily, bi-weekly, or other regular basis;
- a notebook of daily class activities including periodic evaluation results and written work;
- verification of attendance and final evaluation of host institution, submitted separately to BCC by approved host institution;
- results of exit interview conducted in French by BCC instructor.