FS 240 Crime Scene & Physical Evidence • 4 Cr.
Examines federal and Washington state laws of search and seizure from a fire investigation perspective. Topics include functions of crime laboratories, concepts of physical evidence, protection of the crime scene, and techniques for crime scene processing. Prerequisite: FS 120 or permission of advisor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe state and federal laws governing search and seizure
- Define what evidence is and describe collection techniques for differing types of evidence
- Demonstrate understanding of crime lab capabilities and evidence requirements
- Demonstrate the knowledge of systematically processing a crime scene by using the scientific method.
- Apply proficiency in evidence collection during classroom exercises.
- Apply proficiemcy of crime scene diagramming and photography.