HCTM 145 Healthcare Environment and Professional Skills • 5 Cr.
This course gives an overview of the healthcare environment and of the leadership, planning, professional and communication skills that are essential to be successful in this environment. It covers the healthcare systems as a whole including provider, governing and payment organizations. Recommended: Background in either an IT-related or Healthcare-related field.
HCTM 145 is part of the Certified Associate in Healthcare Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS) certificate program. Through federal grant funds students receive support from a Student Navigator and Academic Coach who will provide career and instructional support services. Students will complete an initial survey on their goals.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain basic characteristics, interrelationships, and services of different types of healthcare organizations
- Distinguish among major clinical and business departments and functions found in healthcare organizations
- Discuss the impact of commonly accepted laws, regulations, accreditation, and other state and local rules that govern the healthcare industry
- Identify significant business trends affecting the healthcare field and discuss their potential impact on providers and customers
- Describe strategies to monitor and assess ongoing individual or specific organizational performance indicators
- Explain the key elements of healthcare organizations ethical business principles
- Explain best practices that support effective business communication for different purposes and audiences
- Describe the purpose and outline the main components of a strategic plan
- Describe individual and team roles, responsibilities, and discuss effective team processes
- Describe the purpose and compare different approaches to change management and control
- Identify the key elements and effective characteristics of system, operational, and department documentation
- Identify effective ways to stay current with industry, practice and technology trends
- Identify key characteristics of effective customer service and professional conduct in the healthcare environment
- Define quality standards in the healthcare industry and identify practices that comply or do not comply with these standards