HCTM 390 Healthcare Information Seeking & Evaluation • 3 Cr.
Covers theory and practices related to health information seeking and evaluation. Includes determination of information needs by healthcare professionals and consumers, conversion of a given information need into a searchable question, selection of appropriate search tools, conducting the information search, and evaluating search results. Prerequisite: HCTM 310 and admission to HCTM BAS program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe theoretical models of health information seeking by healthcare professionals and lay persons
- Convert unmet information needs to searchable questions
- Practice methodologies for conducting health information searches
- Utilize search tools appropriate to the question and user
- Evaluate reliability and validity of information search results
- Critically evaluate information found in response to an information need
- Determine appropriate ratio of retrieved to relevant resources obtained