HCTM 430 Healthcare IT Systems Implementation • 5 Cr.
Covers the implementation of information systems within healthcare organizations, as well as documentation and reporting. Includes development of an implementation plan, systems customization, configuration and testing, user training, key issues confronting organization and management of healthcare systems, best practices, and adherence to healthcare standards and regulations. Prerequisite: Acceptance into program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Interpret requirements for healthcare applications (clinical and administrative) imposed by regulatory and accreditation bodies
- Evaluate the healthcare systems application market (clinical and administrative applications) to determine appropriate system for a given healthcare organization
- Formulate a Request for Proposals (RFP) based on hypothetical healthcare organization requirements
- Establish a plan for vendor management during system selection, customization and implementation
- Develop and document systems integration and implementation plans, including major tasks and outcomes, roles and responsibilities, timelines, risk analysis and contingency plans and resources
- Determine an optimal testing plan using best practices in systems integration, hardware and software installation and configuration, unit and systems testing and systems deployment documentation