HD 185 Managing Career Change • V1-7 Cr.
Assists workforce training students in making career transitions. Module topics are career exploration, job search, education/training orientation, and study skills. Prerequisite: Permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Evaluate their skills, interests and personal characteristics to determine a career direction
- Compare their own needs, desires and life circumstances against the realities of the job market.
- Access information on career fields, occupations organizations.
- Understand the issues involved in making a sound career choice/job decision, including knowledge of the job environment as well as specific tasks involved.
- Create a plan for the career search or training process.
- Tap into hidden job market through networking and company research.
- Create a focused, effective resume that will highlight skills and accomplishments to attract the attention of employers.
- Utilize self-knowledge and research to prepare for job interviews in order to present themselves effectively in the interview process
- Recognize and deal with the frustrations of job interviews in order to present themselves effectively in the interview process.
- Recognize and deal with the frustration of the job search process in order to maintain motivation and self-confidence.
- Create a specific and effective individualized job search plan.
- Be placed into the appropriate level of English and Math classes for the training program of their choice.
- Understand the occupational degree and certificate programs and choose a program of study that they wish to pursue.
- Understand the enrollment process for the community and technical college system.
- Identify their primary learning style and develop study techniques to enhance that style.
- Prepare for and take tests effectively.
- Read a text book with improved retention and comprehension.
- Take effective notes in lectures and from reading materials.
- Manage personal resources such as time and money more efficiently.
- Access campus and community resources to maximize learning.