HIST 223 History of Russia & Eastern Europe 1500 to Pres • 5 Cr.
Surveys the social, political, and economic history of Russia and Eastern Europe from 1500 to the present, with special emphasis on Russia from the early-modern to the modern period. May be used as social science or humanities credit, not both, at BC.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Analyze and critically evaluate primary and secondary sources.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Evaluate the importance of pivotal figures in Russian history.
- Evaluate the significance of Russian imperialism, the 1917 Revolution, Soviet foreign policy, and the fall of the Soviet Union.
- Identify and assess the causes and consequences of the major economic, social, political, and cultural developments in Russian and Eastern European history.