HPRO 146 Clinical Lab Assistant I • 5 Cr.
First in a two course series designed to prepare students to work in a clinical laboratory setting. Provides overview of clinical laboratory work including laboratory terminology, organizational structures, HIPAA and OSHA regulations and standards, quality assurance practices, and a general understanding of clinical laboratory information systems and their functions. Enforced Prerequisite: Placement by assessment into ENGL& 101, completion of HPRO 100, 105, 120, 125, and 130 with a C- or better, or permission of instructor.
Fee: $57.50 computer use.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the general structure, functions, and operation of a clinical laboratory and the roles and responsibilities of a clinical laboratory assistant.
- Identify the laboratory tests associated with each clinical laboratory function.
- Interpret and use terminology and abbreviations associated with clinical laboratory testing and processing.
- Apply the theory associated with laboratory testing in the areas of chemistry, hematology, microbiology, toxicology, serology and urinalysis.
- Discuss the legal and ethical obligations of working as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant.