HPRO 147 Clinical Lab Assistant II • 5 Cr.
Second in a two course series. Students participate in controlled laboratory environment to practice processing, reporting, and distribution of specimens, along with data entry, and patient information retrieval via Internet and other electronic resources. Emphasis on maintaining attention to detail and carrying out basic laboratory tests. Enforced Prerequisite: HPRO 146 with a C- or better.
Fee: $196 Supply Fee.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Apply quality control techniques used to perform processing procedures in a clinical laboratory.
- Select the proper equipment to perform the processing of specimens in a clinical laboratory.
- Demonstrate the proper procedures for processing specimens in the clinical environment.
- Apply the theory associated with laboratory testing in the areas of chemistry, hematology, microbiology, toxicology, serology and urinalysis.
- Identify and correctly operate laboratory equipment and trouble shoot problems associated with its use.
- Prepare laboratory specimens following quality assurance protocols, perform basic tests, and interpret, record, and report results in the areas of chemistry, hematology, microbiology, toxicology, serology and urinalysis.
- Accurately communicate test results to healthcare personnel.