MATH 070 Basic Math for the Math Avoiders • 5 Cr.
Builds confidence and skills in arithmetic and pre-algebra. Students discuss symptoms of math anxiety and avoidance, as well as suggestions for overcoming them. Topics include operations with whole numbers, fractions, decimals and percentages, and elements of geometry and pre-algebra. Course is graded pass/fail.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform basic operations with integers, fractions, decimals, and percents.
- Set up and solve basic application problems using ratios, proportions and percents.
- Calculate perimeter, area, volumes, and angles of basic geometric shapes.
- Solve basic linear equations with one unknown.
- Identify and use strategies to reduce math anxiety.
- Fall 2015 (current quarter)