MATH 080 Elementary Algebra I • 5 Cr.
First in a two-quarter sequence of basic algebra using a lecture/workshop format. Topics include lines and graphs, systems of equations, linear equations, and applications. Format includes self/group study and individual assistance. Intended for students with little or no algebra. Students must complete both MATH 080 and 085 to have the equivalent of MATH 097. Recommended: Basic arithmetic skills.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Perform basic arithmetic calculations with fractions, decimals, percents.
- Add, subtract, multiply and divide real numbers (signed numbers).
- Solve linear equations. Set-up and solve application problems using linear equations.
- Create graphs of linear relationships and extract information from graphs.
- Solve linear systems in two variables using graphing and algebraic methods.