MATH 085 Elementary Algebra II • 5 Cr.
Second in a two-quarter sequence of basic algebra using a lecture/workshop format. Topics include exponents, polynomials, quadratic equations, rational expressions, and radicals. Students must complete both MATH 080 (or equivalent) and MATH 085 to have the equivalent of MATH 097. Prerequisite: MATH 080 or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Simplify polynomial expressions, rational expression and expressions involving the properties of exponents and radicals.
- Solve linear, quadratic, rational and radical equations.
- Set-up and solve application problems using quadratic and rational equations.
- Find the equation of a line and interpret slope in context.
- Spring 2018 (current quarter)