MATH 098 Essentials of Intermediate Algebra • 5 Cr.
Reviews and expands MATH 097 topics for students with some algebra background. Topics include equations of lines, quadratic equations and parabolas, rational exponents, elementary exponential equations, and elementary rational expressions and equations. Students practice model building and analysis of graphical and numerical data. Prerequisite: Placement by assessment, or MATH 085 or MATH 097 with a C- or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Transform and interpret algebraic expressions using polynomial and rational operations and properties of exponents and radicals.
- Solve linear, quadratic, rational, and radical equations.
- Create graphs of linear and quadratic relationships and extract information from such graphs.
- Solve linear systems, quadratics, direct and inverse variation, proportions, and radicals in context.
- Analyze and model relationships in the contexts of linear and quadratic equations, distance, and geometry.