MUSC 153 Digital Recording Production • 5 Cr.
Covers recording and editing skills in digital media. Students learn digital recording, computer-based mix down, digital I/O, utilizing digital effects, and sampling in a 24-channel ADAT and direct-to-disk recording studio. Prerequisite: Completion of MUSC 156 with a C- or better or permission of instructor. Recommended: DMA 152.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Students will be able to identify and demonstrate and or describe the techniques and tools of basic audio recording, reinforcement and production.
- Students will be able to demonstrate and describe the differences between analogue and digital recording.
- Students will be able to identify, describe, demonstrate the function of the components of a 24 channel ADAT recording Studio.
- Students will be able to describe and/or demonstrate the proper care and maintenance of the above equipment.
- Students will be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills to manipulate sequences and recordings with the following techniques:
- Multiple editing lab set ups
- Tracking, bouncing tracks
- Live and mixer-board mix down
- Computer based mix down
- Cleaning track
- Editing tracks
- Adding digital effects
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and technique of sampling, editing and digitally storing sounds.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills needed to use computer based mixing boards.
- Students will be able to identify, describe and demonstrate the function of the components of an eight channel Direct to Disk recording Studio.
- Students will synthesize the above information and skills to create a final digital audio project.