OLS 113 Critical Thinking through Writing • 2 Cr.
Identify and practice critical thinking strategies. Students research, analyze, and debate current social issues using argumentative and persuasive formats. Structured to accommodate special needs learners. Prerequisite: OLS 110, 111, and 112 and acceptance into the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Identify key elements for writing with purpose to a specific audience
- Define and describe main idea and supporting details within a written piece
- Utilize organizational tools, revising techniques and proofreading
- Apply spell/grammar check to structure written material
- Utilize problem-solving templates to solve current social problems
- Create various types of writing including persuasive, descriptive, expository and narrative
- Describe in writing how to complete a procedure
- Winter 2018 (current quarter)