OLS 124 Environment & Our Community II • 2 Cr.
Second in a three course series. Continues to builds awareness of the Puget Sound by engaging students in the pressing issues facing our communities. Prerequisite: OLS 123 and acceptance to the program.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Define community and identify communities that you belong to
- Identify the key events in American history that have led to increased community participation in environmental issues
- Define and discuss environmental justice
- Identify, record, and map environmental community assets
- Examine environmental problems in your local area and identify the corresponding communities that face them
- Explore how different communities have addressed environmental problems in their neighborhoods and compare the results
- Define what roles different parties play in addressing specific environmental problems
- Collaborate on a local environmental issue
- Recommend potential community-oriented solutions to the problem
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)