PHIL 225 Introduction to Aesthetics • 5 Cr.
Explores the nature of art and aesthetic experience. Students analyze the artistic theories and aesthetic principles underlying Eastern and Western art. Format includes several field trips. Same as ART 225. Either PHIL 225 or ART 225 may be taken for credit, not both.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain and assess why some philosophers believe it is impossible to define ‘art’.
- Explain and assess Representational, Expressionist, Formalist, and contemporary theories of art.
- Apply theories of art in analyzing the quality of art works.
- Assess positions addressing the morality of art works.
- Assess positions addressing state support or censorship of art works.
- Explain and assess theories regarding the nature of aesthetic experience.