POLS 221 Advanced United Nations I • 2 Cr.
Students analyze the present structure and purpose of the United Nations organization. Advanced students serve as mentors for the introductory students participating in the Bellevue College Model United Nations program. Seminar format. Prerequisite: Instructor permission required. Recommended: Completion of POLS 121, 122 and 123.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Explain the history, structure, and major operations of the United Nations.
- Identify the geographic locations of all United Nations' member states.
- Articulate informed opinions about issues of global importance.
- Mentor first-year Model United Nations (MUN) students to successfully participate in classroom simulations in preparation for college-level MUN conferences.
- Serve in a leadership position in the Bellevue College MUN program—e.g., as President, Vice President, Secretary, or Communication Manager, etc.
- Fall 2015 (current quarter)