PROG 260 Advanced Topics in Object Oriented Programming • 5 Cr.
Class title change starting Summer 2018
Data Structures and Algorithms • 5 Cr.
Students review, understand and code using platform-independent, object-oriented programming language. Topics include objects, classes, methods, syntax, applications, class libraries, user interfaces, and interactivity with the programming environment. Prerequisite: ENGL& 101 and PROG 120 at BC with a C or better.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Write code to construct, populate, and use sequential data structures.
- Implement application using both array-based and linked list-based implementations.
- Analyze the runtime performance of common algorithms.
- Implement recursive and non-recursive programs that demonstrate the run time and space performance tradeoffs.
- Identify techniques to resolve hash table collisions.
- Implement routines to manipulate heaps.
- Use the steps of common sorting algorithms such as quicksort, mergesort, and heapsort to demonstrate runtime performance considerations.