RAIM 340 Human Resources Management in Health Professions • 5 Cr.
Examines laws, regulations and practices relating to employment in healthcare settings, including requirements for staffing, evaluating employee performance, career development, union relationships, health, safety security, diversity issues, probation and dismissal. Case studies are used to bring a contextual focus on specific departments and organizations in a global healthcare industry. Prerequisite: Acceptance to the program or permission of instructor.
Prerequisite: Acceptance into the program or permission of instructor.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Examine the laws and regulations governing employment issues in the healthcare system.
- Analyze the human resource management issues of healthcare multinational organizations and workforce.
- Explain the collective bargaining issue and process in the healthcare industry.
- Describe the grievance management process in a healthcare organization.
- Acknowledge the impact of unions on the recruiting, retention and evaluation of employees in a globalized healthcare setting including outsourcing options.
- Examine how immigration, diversity, virtual environment issues relate to the recruiting and management of employees.
- Develop job descriptions and postings for employees in specific healthcare roles that abide to US and state laws and regulations, and follow standard business practices.
- Develop and compare various employee performance evaluation strategies and instruments in accord to laws and business practices in the context of healthcare departments.
- Analyze issues relating to probation and dismissal of employees, including union contracts, employee contracts and regulations in the context of healthcare departments.
- Identify the challenges in managing a diverse workforce in a globalized, healthcare organization.
- Examine employee issues, practices and regulations that relate to the hiring interview process, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, promotions and terminations for healthcare departments.
- Evaluate the role of the human resource department in the healthcare organization and how it intersects with the role of the department hiring manager.
- Analyze various strategies that support employee development and training in healthcare departments.
- Examine the human resource management issues and trends in the healthcare organizations 15.
- Debate the specific challenges of employee evaluation in a virtual organization or team.
- Winter 2014 (current quarter)