RAIT 325 Mammography • 5 Cr.
Preparation for certification by the ARRT in mammography. In addition to didactic education, the course includes laboratory sessions in a Mammography department. Prerequisite: Admission to the program and permission of the Program Chair.
Description starting Summer 2018
Preparation for certification by the ARRT in mammography. In addition to didactic education, the course includes laboratory sessions in a Mammography department. This course is intended to meet the degree requirements of the Technology concentration of the Radiation & Imaging Sciences program and requires ARRT(R) credential. Prerequisites: Admission to the Radiation & Imaging Sciences program or permission of the Program Chair.
After completing this class, students should be able to:
- Describe the pertinent components of mammography equipment and their respective role in imaging
- Examine the changes in the quantity and quality of radiation produced with manipulation of technical factors
- Evaluate image quality relative to the technical factors used, the anatomy of the breast, and pathologic conditions
- Evaluate required quality control procedures, and interpret the results of those tests
- Relate the quality control findings to image quality
- Identify normal anatomy and physiology of the breast and describe the effects of pathology on the images
- Describe the role of the technologist in patient education